The copyright for this publication
belongs to Laurence D Smart.
All quotes included in this publication are the property of the various writers. Re-use of these quotes should include the relevant bibliographic acknowledgement.
This publication may be freely copied for personal use, or for distribution. Such reproduction must be without alteration, subtraction or addition, and in the exact format. The name of this author must always be visible. Reproduction may be in part or whole. Distribution price must only cover duplication and postage costs.
first edition: - August 1995
revised: - May 1996
reprinted: - July 2000
Web version: - September 2000
Laurence D Smart
PO Box 175, Kippax ACT 2615
Please copy and distribute
Initially Published by
Belconnen Baptist Church, Page, ACT, Australia
THANKS: My thanks to Senior Pastor Linton Smith of Belconnen Baptist Church for the
initial encouragement to create this book from my 6 years of research material.
The theory of evolution is a valid scientific hypothesis, but the facts are that it has not been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. To be proven valid, the theory of evolution must undergo the scrutiny (rigours) of the scientific method. This, however, cannot be accomplished because the millions of years required for experimental testing are beyond the reasonable limit of human observation.
The current 'evidence' for the theory of evolution would not stand up in a court of law while undergoing judicial scrutiny. There would be indications that biased interpretation of data had occurred, as alternative theories could be presented to account for observed and tested facts.
The theory of evolution needs its facade of scientific immutability lifted, and exposed for what it really is - an unproven scientific theory.
My university training and experience as a research scientist, led me to do an analysis of the scientific data on evolution. This set of facts and quotes is my expose, and it is a step in the direction of lifting evolution's facade.
1. I knew that there were no absolute proofs for evolution.
2. Almost all of my colleagues taught evolution as a fact.
3. All the textbooks presented evolution and the geological ages as facts.
4. The media presented evolution as a fact, announcing new 'proofs' with great fanfare, but not reciprocating when 'proofs' were falsified.
5. I knew that many of the 'proofs' of evolution were no longer regarded as proof by the world's leading scientists.
6. I knew that a lot of research was disproving evolution, but the results were either not reaching the teaching profession, or the teachers were biased and refused to present them to their students.
With this background, I decided to write this book. It was written as a resource for science teachers and students, as a collation of information that contradicts what is being taught in schools.
I have structured each section by addressing its basic premises and then replying from logic, research, and the world's leading scientists.
Each section is introduced with the statement, "Evolution says". I did this because this is the way it is imposed on school children, i.e. as an irrefutable dictum. I reply with "The facts are", presenting factual material that should be included in lessons in schools.
The material I present in this book represents the factual information that was available at the time of publishing. There will be a myriad of responses regarding their validity, age, etc., however, these will be personal opinions which do not restrict the contents from being considered by others.
"[The] question is: Can you tell me anything you KNOW about Evolution? Any one thing? Any one thing that is true? I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural History and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology Seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of Evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time, and eventually one person said, "I do know one thing - it ought not to be taught in high school"."
Part of a keynote address given at the American Museum of Natural History by Dr Colin Patterson (Senior Palaeontologist, British Museum of Natural History, London) in 1981. Unpublished transcript.
Evolution Says .....
The universe started with a huge explosion called the'Big Bang' 20 billion years ago. This formed the stars and galaxies. The galaxies are swirling and rapidly moving apart. This is proof of the Big Bang.
The Facts Are .....
(1) The Big Bang is not the only scientific theory on the origins of the universe. The Steady State and Plasma theories are both supported by many scientists who do not accept the Big Bang theory. These theories propose alternative explanations for the 'proofs' of the Big Bang theory. The Big Bang theory cannot therefore be regarded as a fact. Eric Lerner "The Big Bang Never Happened", Times Books: New York, 1992 p:295
(2) The Big Bang theory requires the input of a tremendous amount of energy at the very beginning. No proof or explanation of the source of this energy has so far been forth coming. Eric Lerner "The Big Bang Never Happened", Times Books: New York, 1992 p:295
(3) "..... the fact of galaxies moving apart can be explained by many other states of matter and energy than a primeval atom that exploded. For that matter, the alleged explosion produces radiation and high-speed elementary particles, not galaxies. Galaxies moving apart have nothing whatever to do with the expanding motion of debris from an explosion." Astrophysicist Dr. Harold Slusher contending that the expanding universe is not a result of the 'big bang'. Quoted by Harold S. Slusher in his book, "The Origin of the Universe" (revised ed.), Institute of Creation Research: El Cajon (California), 1980 p:24
(4) New findings in the realm of optics and plasma physics has thrown doubt on the Big Bang theory, indicating that the origin of the universe is purely a hypothesis, and not a fact. A Yale University physicist is quoted as saying, "There are a lot of fundamental assumptions we base our model [of the Big Bang] on that may be wrong". Scientific American, September, 1987 p:18-20
(5) "The Big Bang Theory is crumbling. But many of my colleagues refuse to believe it ..... But, as in Galileo's day, entrenched ideas are difficult to change ..... It does not bother cosmologists that there is no evidence for such speculation [of the Big Bang Theory] or that none of these ideas solves the problem". A quote by the plasma physicist, Eric Lerner, in the Manilla Bulletin, June 5, 1991 p:7
(6) "As a result of all this, the main efforts of investigators have been in papering over holes in the Big Bang theory, to build up an idea that has become ever more complex and cumbersome .... I have little hesitation in saying that a sickly pall now hangs over the Big Bang theory." Written by Sir Fred Hoyle, famous British astronomer and cosmologist in "The Big Bang Under Attack", Science Digest, Vol. 92, May, 1984 p:84
(7) "The latest data differ by so much from what theory would suggest as to kill the big-bang cosmologies. But now, because the scientific world is emotionally attracted to the big-bang cosmologies, the data are ignored". Written by Sir Fred Hoyle, famous British astronomer and cosmologist in "The Big Bang in Astronomy", New Scientist, Vol. 92, No. 1280, 1981 p:522-523
(8) "There is no mechanism known as yet that would allow the universe to begin in an arbitrary state and then evolve to its present highly-ordered state." Written by evolutionist and physicist Don A. Page in "Inflation Does not Explain Time Asymmetry", Nature, Vol. 304, July 7, 1983 p:40
(9) "Cosmology is unique in science in that it is a very large intellectual edifice based on very few facts." Written by Astronomer Halton Arp in "The Extragalactic Universe: An Alternative View", Nature, Vol. 346, 1990 p:807-812
(10) "Never has such a mighty edifice been built on such insubstantial foundations". Editorial comment on the Big Bang theory in New Scientist, December 21-28, 1992 p:3